Here at Avis Budget Group we're more than just rentals—although over 70 years of experience and 11,000 locations in 180 countries has taught us a thing or two about that. We’re shaping the future of the mobility industry with our innovative, customer-focused solutions. Our globally recognized brands - Avis, Budget, Budget Truck and Zipcar - connect people to more. This means more convenience, more options and more time on the road for our customers. But we also connect our employees to more: opportunities, benefits, support, collaboration and most importantly—power to change the future. Sound your speed? Come join our family.
As the director of performance management and observability, this technology leader will work on products and solutions focusing on stability, resilience, efficiency, performance, and observability across ABG’s global environments, technology platforms, and products. This role will be responsible and accountable for building an end-to-end observability strategy and platform from design and due diligence to implementation and ongoing measurements and monitoring.
The director will provide leadership and direction to an observability team ensuring appropriate and reliable monitoring of our critical applications, infrastructure, and SaaS/3rd party integration services in a rapidly evolving hybrid and multi-cloud landscape. This director will build and lead a highly visible observability team that manages, supports, and enhances a platform to enable complete observability of ABG’s entire landscape in a single pane of glass. The director will define technical direction and build the future for system health, performance monitoring and logging capabilities.
The director will also be intimately focused on customer and developer experience throughout the lifecycle and diagnosis of incidents. We expect this innovative and problem-solving individual to collaborate with our product teams, architecture team, and other technology leaders to ensure our existing and future solutions meet world class standards for system reliability and performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage and work with business, product teams, Architecture, Security, System and Application Engineering, and Core Services, to craft IT solutions – with a core focus on resilience and observability.
- Define requirements for, design, procure, build, and implement a full end-to-end observability platform capable of monitoring and alerting across ABG’s entire landscape of technology and products.
- Define and build dashboards to visualize overarching resilience and observability monitoring.
- Continue evolving the observability platform towards an automated platform capable of recognizing anomalies, triggering alerts, and initiating self-healing processes.
- Work across departments and partners to evangelize and communicate observability expertise and standards.
- Drive the observability team's strategy and vision
- Grow the team by hiring qualified candidates, coaching and developing engineers, and employ your technical and managerial expertise to inspire the highest quality of work
- Lead, empower, challenge, and coach a team of exceptional engineers to grow their impact as individual technical leaders by providing them with context and continuous feedback
- Collaborate closely with the Architecture team to ensure that system reliability standards are defined, documented, and followed
- Work to reduce system downtime, mean time to recover, and change failure rate through automated processes that leverage metrics, logs, traces, events, heap dumps, and other operational datasets to automatically detect anomalies and fix them before they result in outages
- Drive the Observability team to collect the right metrics at the right frequency as well as ensure all operational data is readily available and consumable
- Ensure Observability standards and platform meet the rapidly evolving hybrid, multi-cloud landscape at ABG
- Manage resource assignment and project prioritization for the Observability team. Determine relevant KPIs to measure the team's ability to complete work requests and projects in a timely manner.
- Design and maintain a robust strategy for alerting and incident-based collaboration across the enterprise. Leverage modern communication channels and capabilities where possible.
- Evangelize observability team, platform, and standards to help onboard and educate geographically diverse development teams
Qualifications (may vary by level)
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Engineering
- Minimum of 10 years of IT experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience designing, developing and implementing cloud/hybrid cloud solutions
- Considerable experience leading and working with multi-site and/or partner development teams
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Expert knowledge of Cloud methodologies (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS), automation, orchestration in AWS/Azure
- Understanding of operational measurements and metrics definitions enabling technology platform and API observability
- Experience driving adoption of new solutions and technologies within a large company
- Experience building and leading high-performing teams
- Exceptional analytical, logical reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Consistently uses time effectively and efficiently
- Intellectually sharp, capable, and agile
- Eagerness and ability to learn and adapt technologies, industry practices, tools, and trends
- Leading with integrity and able to motivate others, manage conflict, and maintain composure in high pressure situations
- Strong facilitation, collaboration & influencing skills; ability to form relationships, empower and collaborate at all levels in the organization and interact effectively across the regional and global organization
Minimal travel required (1-3 times per year)
Perks you’ll get:
- Access to Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability insurance
- Eligible to elect other voluntary benefits including: Group Auto Insurance, Group Home Insurance, Pet Insurance, Legal Assistance, Identity Theft Protection, FSA, Accident Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, and additional life insurance coverages
- Contribute up to $270 as a tax-free benefit for public transportation or parking expenses
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with company matched contributions
- Full training to learn the business and enhance professional skills
- Employee discounts, including discounted prices on the purchase of Avis/Budget cars
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program for services including counseling, financial and legal consultation, referrals for care service and more
- Community involvement opportunities
Who are we?
Glad you asked! Avis Budget Group is a leading provider of mobility options, with brands including Avis, Budget & Budget Truck, and Zipcar. With more than 70 years of experience and 11,000 locations in 180 countries, we are shaping the future of our industry and want you to join us in our mission. Apply today to get connected to an exciting career, a supportive family of employees and a world of opportunities.
The fine print:
Avis Budget Group is an equal opportunity employer – M/F/Veterans/Disabled.
This advertisement does not constitute a promise or guarantee of employment. This advertisement describes the general nature and level of this position only. Essential functions and responsibilities may change as business needs require. This position may be with any affiliate of Avis Budget Group.
Avis Budget Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.DetroitMichiganUnited States of America